Sunday, September 13, 2015

Eggplant Meatless Balls Recipe

I normally do not like eggplant.  Its texture puts me off. We were out for dinner last week and eggplant meatballs were on the menu.  We ordered them and I took a bite.  NOt bad.
This summer I began getting fresh local produce delivered.  In my latest box were two eggplants.  I decided to attempt to make eggplant meatless balls.  I served them with heirloom tomato sauce.  THey tasted pretty good. I find this is a great way to disguise eggplant!


Here is the recipe:
2 medium eggplants, cubed and peeled
1 TBSP olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1  12oz pkg Pacific Natural Foods Condensed Cream of Mushroom soup
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c shredded Parmesan cheese
2 TBLSP basil
2 TBLSP oregano
1 TBLSP parsley

Directions:
Heat oil in a large pan.  Add garlic and saute until light golden. 

Add onions and saute for 3 minutes.

Add mushroom soup combined with 1 c water and cubed eggplant to pot.

Cook for 10 minutes, or until onions and eggplant are soft.  Stir occasionally.

Strain the mixture with a sieve to remove as much liquid as possible

IN a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients with the eggplant mixture.  Mix thoroughly.

Preheat over to 375.  Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non stick spray.

Form the mixture into large balls.  Place on baking sheet.  (Mine made about 18 balls)

Spray the balls on the baking sheet with cooking spray

Place in preheated oven for 35 - 40 minutes.

Use them however you would use meatballs.  
I added chunky heirloom tomato sauce and spaghetti.  
Makes 4-6 servings of 3 to 4 meatballs 

No comments: