Thursday, April 2, 2009

THe Mask


A few years ago, Jim Carrey starred in a movie called "The Mask". Whenever he put on this green mask, he was transformed into this wild and crazy character.
Today I feel a little like Jim Carrey in that movie.
As I have mentioned in previous blogs, I have been having a difficult time with my sleep mask. The one I was using gave me a terrible pres
sure wound on my nose and I had to discontinue using it, which means I also could not use my sleep machine. Although a new mask had been ordered several times, for over two weeks I could not use my machine. This means I was not sleeping well. This also means I was in a life threatening situation, as I stop breathing too often when I sleep, and my brain does not get the oxygen it needs.
Yesterday I got help. A friend, who also has severe sleep apnea, as well as deals with insurance companies as part of her job, called offering not only advice, but real help. She put me in contact with her medical supplier.
After speaking with him, he took over. He made all of the phone calls, got the prescription from the doctor, filed all of the paperwork with
the insurance. By 3:00 I was on my way to picking up my new sleep mask. He fitted me for the mask and adjusted it while I was wearing it.
IN the process, he asked about what machine I was using. I told him about my "new" machine I got in March - how I was the first client of the other company to get the machine and they had only been trained to use it the day before it was delivered to me.
He questioned me further about what did it look like. I was shocked to find out what I have is an "old" model of the machine. He showed me the new model (which he uses). It is so much better - lighter weight, better humidifier set up, a panel covers the lighted display. He did not pressure me at all, but explained that these machines are rented from the supply company and that if I wanted to I could return the "old" machine and get the new one from his company. Believe me, I want to do that. He certainly came through for me when I needed it. The way the other company has deceived me and give me such terrible service, I certainly have no reason to stay with them.
My only decision is when to make the switch. I will see the new sle
ep doctor at the end of April. I am thinking I should wait until I find out what his treatment plan is, before making a switch. I am just not sure yet.
When I got home from picking up the mask, I had a message from the other company wanting to set up an appointment to bring me the mask. Hubby returned the call, leaving a message that the order was cancelled.
She called back with a message saying she needed to speak with us as she had no cancellation order. Yeah, now they can be in constant contact. But when I needed them they were nowhere to be found.
At bedtime last night, I was not sure how I would adjust to the new mask. My other two masks were over the nose, full face masks. This one has nasal pillows that fit into my nose holes and then a mouth piece. I figured I had not slept well in so long, I could probably tolerate just about anything in order to sleep.
I was right. The mask fit well, not too tight. The nose pillows were not uncomfortable. With a few minor adjustments of the straps, the mask kept the seal all night. It took a while to get used to breathing with the new mask - but it was gentle and quiet. I actually slept until 6 am when I had to get up for a pit stop (usually I am up 2 or 3 times during the night). I kn
ow it will take a while to actually get over the tiredness, but I feel so much better today.
Here is me with the new mask:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hahahahaha! I love the movie the Mask, especially when the little dog gets a hold of it! LOL I can understand how joyful you are after all you've been through!
I am so happy you got the mask! I hope it will work well for you. I'm glad you found (with the help of a friend) a company that knows the meaning of customer service. I am glad they came through for you!

Dottie said...

Hey Ruthie I too liked the Movie the Mask and when the little dog got hold of it that was funny! But in all seriousness, I am so glad that you have been able to get the new mask.
This new company sounds like they are right on the ball and know how to keep customers happy.
Customer service can break or make a company sometimes.
The mask you have looks like the one that my hubby finally got. He could not use a full face mask. and his VA doctor told him to go to this medical supply place here in town and find one that would work for him and get the model number and they would try ordering it for him, he did they did and as they say the rest is history.
I hope you are getting used to it. I would say go with this new company. Sounds like they have their stuff together.
It is also good to know that your nose is healing up.