Thursday, May 21, 2009

Changes, DIsappointments and What Should Have Been

Changes:
I saw my dietitian last week. For the past seven weeks, my weight loss has slowed practically to a halt. In the previous month, I lost just one pound. This past three weeks, I lost 1.5 pounds. While I am thankful it was a loss, I was confused as to why it was not more. I have been staying on track with my eating and exercising at the gym more than I have ever been able to do. My dietitian is also confused. Last time she told me to eat more, to lose more. I tried, but I just never could get to the higher end of my calorie range, without going over in my carbs and proteins. I did cut back on my time and exertion at the gym. But apparently this was not doing the trick.
She told me about the zone diet. You have to pick from a list of allowed foods in blocks for each meal. It is based on different percentage
s of proteins, carbs and fats than I now follow.
I reminded her that from the start I do not want a "diet", I want a lifestyle - to be able to eat the foods I eat, in the right amounts and combinations for the rest of my life. Lifestyle is a whole different mindset than "diet". Diets begin and end. When the diet ends, my mindset is "Okay now I can go back and eat 'normally'" - in other words go back to my bad choices and habits. This is not what I am doing. Yes, I have a goal weight in mind, but it is flexible. But when I get there, I am continuing to eat just the way I eat now. I have come too far and learned too much to go back to old unhealthy habits.
What is great about my dietitian is she understands that, and instead of pushing me onto the zone diet, asked if we could try adjusting my nutritional values to the same percentages as the zone diet, but I would keep eating and tracking as I already do, just with different ranges. That sounded like it
would work for me.
My current percentages were protein 30%, fat 20% and carbs 50%. My adjusted rates are protein 30%, fat 30% and carbs 40%.

It has not been too hard to add the additional fat. For the first time in years and years I am using 1% milk instead of fat free. It tastes like cream to me! The harder part is cutting back on the carbs. I rarely eat bread or pasta or rice, due to low carbs to start with. I get most of my carbs from fruits and vegetables. But I am working it out. Although she had told me adding fat should increase the calories, I have not found this to be the case yet. I am still at about the same calorie intake.
She has told me to stay off the scale because I was getting obsessed, weighing myself several times a day. Thus I have no idea if this new plan is working o
r not. I have to check in with her at the end of this week to let he know how I am doing.
Two things I do notice - I am not as hungry feeling at night and I am sleeping better.
Disappointments:
As I have noted in as previous blog, I am a big fan of Dancing With
the Stars and American Idol. They both had finales this week. I am disappointed with both of the winners.
Although I enjoyed Shawn and Mark, in my opinion she was NOT the best dancer.
I did not even watch the American Idol finale because I do not think the final two were the best singers in the competition.
What Should Have Been:
Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinions. SO here are mine. When Danny Gokey was voted off American Idol, it was just wrong. Throughout the com
petition he was one of the very best singers. He was always on pitch (except for the final note on rock week). He was passionate and creative. HE had a great attitude and personality. From the beginning, it was obvious most of the judges wanted Adam to win. Adam has a good voice when he does not scream. But I began to call him a one trick pony, because I got tired of the screaming week after week. I wondered if the judges arranged it so Danny got eliminated thinking Kris would leave the way open for Adam to win. The rules allow them to do that, to override the voters.
Well, surprise, surprise - I am guessing all of Danny's followers voted for Kris and he won the title. Nothing against Kris, but he should not have won. Danny should have won. That's the way I think it should have been.
Dancing with the Stars - From the beginning Gilles and Cheryl were standouts. Gilles became a wonderful dancer. He was in a league way above all of the other stars. Melissa and Shawn were worthy compe
titors, but he was beyond them in his dancing abilities. He was graceful, passionate and he took on the personality of the dance. His and Cheryl's routines earned them more 30s than in the history of the show. SO why didn't Gilles win the trophy? Did the audience turn it into a popularity contest instead of a dance contest?
Nothing against Shawn, but she should not have that trophy. Gilles should have won Dancing With the Stars. That's the way it should have been.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Making adjustments to our diets can be difficult but I'm glad you were able to find a way with your nutritionist to work things out for you eating plan. I hope it will work out and help you return to a steady pace of losing. I pray for your continued success.
I can't say much about the winners of the TV competitions as I don't watch but what you said makes sense to me and does explain some of the other comments I've heard others make.

i am supergirl. said...

i didn't know that the judges of american idol are allowed to overrule the voters.... that seems staged and set up to me..