Tuesday, October 13, 2009

New Sleep Doctor

For the past several months I have been looking for a new sleep doctor. If you have followed this blog, you know I was having many issues with the former doctor. I was looking for a couple of things in the new doctor. First I wanted a sleep/pulmonary doctor, who could also deal with my breathing-lung problems as evidenced in the CT scans I had done. I also wanted someone who could read the Smart Card in my sleep machine. this was the most difficult of the list to fulfill. In addition, of course, I needed a doctor who took my insurance.
I am happy to say I finally found such a doctor, (thanks to the help of Audrey). I had my first appointment yesterday. I went armed with my Smart Card, reports from my xrays and CT scans, copies of my blood work and information about my medical supplier.
The receptionist took my Smart Card and downloaded the information. She came back and told me I win the prize for the best report they have ever seen. She said my line was all green and green is good. (Later when the doctor showed me the report, green means I use the machine every night).
I had more paperwork to fill out, besides what I had already received in the mail and brought with me.
First I had to watch a short video of the doctor explaining what sleep apnea is. At first I thought this would be nothing I needed, but it was very informative and explained sleep apnea very clearly. I have to admit, after seeing it, I really did not understand it previously.
I was disappointed when the doctor came in, that she was not the doctor who I thought I was going to see. But this doctor was very nice, and very thorough. She questioned me in great detail. She answered all of my questions. She was knowledgeable.
When she took my blood pressure, it was 124/58 and she asked was the bottom number always so low. After about 40 minutes with me, she told me that I was to watch another video and she was going to consult with another doctor about my pulmonary issues and then return to discuss the plan of treatment.
The second video concerned treatment options for sleep apnea.I thought it was interesting that her first option was weight loss. She said, if this will not work for you, then there is surgery, which has a 50% success rate for curing sleep apnea, or using the machine, which has a 100% correction rate.
After the video, the doctor who I thought I was going to see in the first place returned with the other doctor. They spent another 40 minutes with me, discussing my case.
My first question was since seeing the video, I wondered having lost over 100 pounds already, did she foresee a point when I would have less severe sleep apnea or even not have it at all anymore.
She replied that she wants me to have another sleep test - this time a split night test. For the first part of the night I will sleep without a machine to see if I still need a machine. If I am still having apnea episodes, they will put me on the machine and monitor pressures to see if I can reduce the high pressures I am currently using. That will take place on October 20.
Another concern this will address, is the fact that it takes me so long to get to sleep, and once I wake up during the night, it takes me so long to get back to sleep. She thinks the pressure may be contributing to that.
She is reporting to my primary doctor that she would like another CT scan (he has to order that) to see if there have been additional changes to my lungs.
IN addition, I am having a series of breathing tests done on October 29th, to determine lung function and breathing capacity. My oxygen level yesterday was 96%, which she said at my age is good.
I will see her again in three weeks to go over all the results and hear her treatment plans.
I felt good about this visit. I felt like my concerns were heard. I felt like my needs were addressed. With this doctor, I am a more informed patient and can ask better questions. They gave me a lot of information I never had in the past.
Please continue to pray for me as I have these tests to give the doctors wisdom in making right choices for my treatment.

4 comments:

i am supergirl. said...

Awesome, Ruthie!! I am so glad you've finally found a doctor who suits your needs :)
I will continue to keep you in my thoughts for sure!
-Wendy

Unknown said...

Phew! So glad it worked out so well for you.. Now my turn. I haven't gone to any body in a long while (years)since I had also felt none of my questions were being addressed. Although this doctor has been on my list, I have yet to pick up the phone. Time to go and call now.
Thanks Ruthie!! You are the encouragement I needed. I am so very happy for you : )
Have a blessed day! Audrey~

Unknown said...

It sounds like this dr. really focused in on your needs. That's great. Hopefully improvement in health issues will show up in the tests. The blood pressure sounds like a reduction in dosage should be in order. It certainly doesn't have to be THAT low. All of your efforts are paying off and hopefully there will be results that show in the medical tests as well. I continue to pray for you.

Dottie said...

Hey Ruthie.. This news is super. Of course you are in my prayers. I would think some change in that blood pressure meds would be in order also.
So glad that you have a good doctor that takes time with you. They are so hard to find. I have a family doctor that takes time to answer my questions. So I know how important that is. Also when they give you information that make it easier for you to ask questions. So you hang in there and we will be waiting for all the good reports that will be forthcoming. Here are words to a song I was listening to this morning may they encourage you as they did me.
Blessings..Dottie

Made Me Glad
By Hillsong
I will bless the Lord forever
I will trust Him at all times
He has delivered me from all fear
He has set my feet upon a rock
I will not be moved
And I'll say of the Lord

You are my Shield, my Strength
My Portion Deliverer
My Shelter, Strong tower
My very present help in time of need

Whom have I in heaven but You
There's none I desire beside You
You have made me glad
And I'll say of the Lord

You are my Shield, my Strength
My Portion Deliverer
My Shelter, Strong tower
My very present help in time of need