Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sleep Test #4

Last night I had my fourth sleep test. This one was done at a different hospital than the first three. Having had the previous tests, I pretty much knew what to expect.
When I arrived, I was shown to my room. Of course there was paperwork to fill out. I changed into my jammies and read a bit, while they "hooked up" another patient.
This is a teaching hospital so there was a trainee observing my "hookup". Wires were attached to m y head, my legs, my chin, my side, - well, you get the idea. I had a band around my chest and one around my waist. These were attached to heart monitors - EKGs. I had an oxygen reader on my finger and tubes attached to my nose. I guess I looked like something from outer space with all of the wires and tubes.
The hookup takes about 45 minutes.
Before the testing can begin, I have to lay still for five minutes, so they can get "calibrations". After the five minutes are up, they ask me to look left and right, up and down, only moving my eyes; to make a snoring sound, to hum, to blink, to close my eyes, to breathe through my nose, to breathe through my mouth and to move my legs.
During the first part of the test, I had to try and sleep without a machine. I had difficulty getting to sleep. IN addition, some of the wires on my chin were coming loose and the technician had to come in twice to re-attach them.
Of course at some point, I had to make a pit stop. When she came to unhook me for that, she told me to put my sleep mask on, she was going to put me on a regular sleep machine to see how I would do.
Once we got going with that, she realized one of my leg wires was no longer attached and had to come back to fix that. I finally did get some sleep, but woke up several times.
She saw I was awake at 6:45 and told me to do all of those eye, breathing and leg things again, then told me to remove my mask. In a few minutes, she came in and unhooked me.
She said she'd check my sleep machine while I got dressed to leave.
Although she is not a doctor, she did tell me a couple of things.
During my original sleep test in February, 2008, my oxygen levels dropped into the dangerous zone, 50% or less. Last night, even without the machine, my levels did not drop below 88%, which is not bad.
Without the machine, I only had 9 episodes of apnea.
During my first test I had over 600 in 6 hours.
My sleep machine is set at pressure 18 (inhale) / 12 (exhale).
Last night I did not use the type of machine I have. I used only a regular sleep machine and the pressure was 8 (inhale). I did not require help with exhale.
Her conclusion is that I have only mild sleep apnea now. She is sure that as I continue to lose weight I will be complete apnea free and not have to use a machine! Again, she is not a doctor, but I liked her positive attitude!
When she checked my machine, she said it shows that it is giving me a pressure of 8, which affirms what she found in the test last night. She also said my mask is working perfectly and not leaking air at all, even while I am asleep.
I am encouraged by this news. I will see the doctor in two weeks to find out what her recommendations are. But what great news to go from severe sleep apnea, the worst case my previous doctor had ever treated, to mild sleep apnea is awesome! Thanks to all of you who prayed!

4 comments:

Dottie said...

Hallelujah, Praise the Lord! He is Good! What a wonderful report. We will continue to pray that you will be free from the sleep apnea altogether.. But still this is such wonderful news.

WooHoo!!

Anonymous said...

What a relief to get such encouraging news! Congratulations, Ruthie!
Love, Debbie (in Florida)

Linda's Family Research said...

Great news Ruthie - happy for you!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful report and answer to prayer, as well as a great reward for all the efforts and accomplishments you have achieved in wieght loss. Another evidence of an increase in good health. Congratulations and of course, I continue to pray for you daily.