Thursday, December 10, 2009

Friendly Packages

It is almost Christmas. When I was a child, it seemed like forever between Christmases. Now I feel like I blink and it is December again. It is the time of year we all do a lot of shopping.
Over the years I have evolved from catalog to online shopping. This means I have received a lot of packages. These packages have come via UPS, FedEx and USPS. As a result of the large number of packages, I have become familiar with the delivery guys.
One day the FedEX man, who had no package for me, stopped by the house. He had a killer headache and wondered if I could give him a glass of water and some tylenol. Since over the years he had made me very happy by the packages he had so promptly delivered, I was glad to oblige him. I did wonder why he chose me to ask. Then I figured maybe I am one of the few people actually home when he brings his packages.
But more recently, I became aware in an almost amusing way, how well those delivery guys know me.
I was on my way to the gym. I had turned the corner from my street on to the neighboring street. Halfway down this street, the FedEx truck was coming towards me. The driver beeped and waved. SO I waved. Then he stopped, and motioned to me. I pulled over. He had a package for me, which he delivered to my car, on a street that I do not live on. Not only does he recognize me, know what house I live in, he also knows my car (which is usually in the garage). Go figure.
In the past year, I have joined Facebook, a social networking site. Imagine my surprise when one of my UPS delivery men made a request to be my friend on Facebook! That is when I began to wonder, do I order too many packages?
Now to be fair, I must add that I found out the UPS guy goes to my church. That is actually the context in which he asked to be my Facebook friend. But when he told me how much he loves my house, and I knew he had never been there as a guest, it all came out that he delivers UPS packages to me on a regular basis.
So that is my story of friendly packages. Can you say that your packages are as friendly as mine?

2 comments:

i am supergirl. said...

Cute story :)

Unknown said...

I am not sure my packages are as happy and friendly as yours but I have had similar experiences. LOL I got a package delivered while walking the dog one day! hahahaha!