Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Heart and Lungs

Christmas is almost here. This year the goose is not getting fat - I have lost 114 pounds so far.
I saw the cardiologist last week to find out results of all of my heart tests. I am not happy with that office. They refuse to call me Ruth, and insist on calling me Mary. Yes, Mary IS my first name. But I have NEVER been called Mary. When people refer to me as Mary, I do not know who they are talking about or to. When phone calls ask for Mary, I tell them she does not live here, because obviously the caller is someone who does not know me.
When the woman tried to call me in for my appointment with the doctor, she was calling "Mary", I did not answer. Finally I said do you mean Ruth? She said No, Mary. I replied I think you mean Ruth. She finally asked what is the last name, when I said Sullivan, she said right. I told her I do not go by Mary, but by Ruth. Her response was "Well, in this office you will go by Mary!" Not a good start.
When the doctor came in, he told me all of my tests came back normal. There were no incidents of rapid heart beats. The echo cardiogram showed a healthy heart, with no blockages. The nuclear stress test was normal. There is no reason for any treatment on his part, come back in a year. I asked, since all tests were normal, no incidents of rapid heart beat, since I have never experienced any symptoms, could I stop taking the Beta blocker. He was offended and became condescending. The bottom line is I must continue to take it, it is a small dose and it is preventative. I argued for several minutes, but he was insistent. He did say if when I see the arrhythmia doctor next week, if HE says I can discontinue it, he would be all right with that.
I left there with mixed feelings. I was happy the tests were all okay and that my heart seems to be in good shape. But I also felt some uncertainty, since he wants me to continue to take this medication.
When I discussed the particular Beta Blocker I am taking with my dietitian, she informed me because it slows down the heart rate and metabolism, it makes losing weight very difficult. Neither of us are happy about that.
Today I saw my primary care doctor. We discussed the results of the CT scan I had done of my chest back in November. The nodule in my lung is GONE!!!! Thank you Lord! And thank all of you for your prayers!
When I talked with him about the Beta Blocker, I asked since it is an additional blood pressure medication, if I could cut back the dosage on one of my other BP meds. He said yes! My BP has been good - today it was 120/60. I will see him in 8 weeks to check it again at the lower dosage.
SO that is the latest health update. I see the arrhythmia doctor next Monday. I am hoping he does not want to put me through another battery of tests.
I am in the process of trying to get all of my Christmas "stuff" finished. I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

i am supergirl. said...

omgosh Ruthie!! That's awesome news!!! Praise the Lord for that!!!

Dottie said...

Ruthie that is just fantastic!! What wonderful news! God is Good.. Praise His Name...My heart does rejoice with you.

It is good that you could reduce your BP medicine. I had one doctor wanting to put me on a low dose BP med for preventative measures the other doctor who I trusted more said there was no indications that I needed to be on it.
I think I would find me a different cardiologist before I had to go back..if that was an option.

Have a wonderful day. And May 2010 be your Best Year ever! Happy New year

Unknown said...

In all the busyness of Christmas and everything else that's been going on, I had forgotton to check your blog. I'm glad to see good news. I hope to see an update soon.