Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Presence, Joy and Heart

This past weekend my hubby took me to the Great Smoky Mountains. But that is not what this blog is about. I only mention it because it was the drive home that inspired this blog.
During the twelve plus hour drive ho
me, we were listening to one of my IPOD playlists. It was a mixed bag of songs of many genres and artists. The majority of songs were by Don Moen (no surprise, huh?) and Regi Stone. There were also several by Geron Davis.
Anyone wh
o knows me well, is aware that these are three of my favorite worship leaders/songwriters. Just listening to their music is ultimate worship for me.
During the drive I came to realize each of them has a different aspect of worship in their sty
le, yet each ministers powerfully creating an atmosphere of worship.
Geron Davis,
who is probably best know for writing "Holy Ground" when he was 18 years old, focuses on the joy of worship. Many of his songs are upbeat, yet speak powerful messages about Who God is and how powerful He is. "My heart is burning, my spirit's yearning to worship You and Your Holy Name"; "In all things, Jesus, You are King"; "Evermore, I will love You, Evermore I will Praise You, Evermore I will glorify the name of the Lord". These are just a few of his worship songs. All bring us into the joy of the Lord.
Regi Stone may be the least well known of the three. He is wor
ship leader at Christ Church Nashville. His music reflects his commitment to worship and focuses on the Heart of worship. It is all about surrendering our hearts completely and opening our hearts for the Lord to minister. "How Can I tell You How Much I love you? " O that I may know You, O that I may worship, O that I may bow down at Your feet"; "We love You, Lord, We love YOu, Jesus, For Your arms hold us, Your mercy keeps us." Regi's worship guides us right to the heart of the Lord.
Don Moen records and works for Integrity music. His desire is to usher people into
the Presence of the Lord with his music. I can be listening to his songs or watching him on a DVD and I am immediately transported into God's presence. "Here we are lifting our hands to You"; "I need You Jesus, to come to my rescue"; "Jesus, we lift You on our praises, so every eye can see Your face, Your power and grace, behold You as You really are." Don's heart is for every worshipper to experience the sweet presence of the Lord.
Listening to the songs of these three, all mixed together during this trip, made their focus become clear to me. Each has a love of worship. Each knows the power of worship. Each knows the deep place worship can take us. Through their music they can take us there - each in their own style and focus, yet each very powerful. They help me realize worship can be so much more and I desire that in my life.

3 comments:

Dottie said...

If we would open our hearts and minds and discover what true worship is about OH the mighty things we would see! I to desire to be in His presence and experience the complete fulfilling joy that only comes from Him! I have heard of Don Moen, the other two you mentioned I had not heard of. Of course I know some of the songs you mentioned. I also like Chris Tomlin.
Have a Blessed Day!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharig your thoughts on worship songs. Although I don't know all the ones you mentioned, you did mention some of my favorites, too. I find worship music very powerful and meaningful too. I love music and love singing to the Lord as my favorite way to worship.

i am supergirl. said...

i am a nerd like you :) i, too, listen to worship music when not in church! lol.