Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Unexpected Blessing

I joined the gym at the beginning of this year. It is something I never thought I would be able to do, due to my back problems. I go there 6 days a week.
Although I am very limited in what I can do, I work hard at those things I can do.
Today when I got there, I started by trying to walk the track. After 2 sets of 2 laps I had to stop because my back hurt so badly. I went right to the seated back extension machine to try and get some relief.
At 3 I was scheduled for a half hour with my personal trainer, so I had an hour to do cardio before that. Since my back was in pain, I decided the recumbent bike would be the best option. I set it for 40 minutes and off I went. While riding, I looked around.
Although I have been going to the gym for over 5 months, I really do not know anyone there. I spend my time alone, talking to no one.
Today as I was riding, I noticed a man I see there a lot. Every time I see him he is with one of three of four women. Today was no different. I began thinking how lonely it is for me at the gym. I was wishing my hubby could come with me sometime.
When I finished my cardio, I sat and cooled down for a few minutes before my training session. I saw my trainer finishing up with her client. After they were through, the woman she had been training, who I did not know, walked right over to me. She smiled and said, "I just want you to know what a great job you are doing." I must have looked confused because she continued, "I walk in the back and notice how hard you work and the commitment you have. You are really doing well." WOW! What a nice surprise.
Of course, I thanked her for her encouragement, explaining about my limitations. She said we all need encouragement, don't we?
That lonely feeling was gone for those few minutes we spoke. I do not even know her name. I just know she took the time to speak to a stranger and made my day!
I once read a book about God Smiles - little ways God shows us He is smiling at us. This was a God Smile for me. I hope I see that kind woman again and find out her name.
Thank you, Lord, for smiling at me today through her.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a nice thing that woman did by commenting to you. It's like God saying to you, "You may think you're alone but I'm with you and watching every move." He sees your struggles and knows your pain and sees your progress and victories. Exercise, whether it's going to the gym or going for a walk, can be a lonely thing, on top of the other unpleasant side effects (like pain and having to push yourself to do more.) But often it is a time we can use the opportunity to draw closer to God and ask Him to help us do our best for better health. I am walking for better health and it's not what I look forward to but I know I must do it and prayer helps, whether it's praying that God will give me the motiviation to take the first step or thinking about others and praying for them as I walk. Things go better with God, that's for sure!