Saturday, December 6, 2008

Why blog anyway?

I haven't blogged here in almost two weeks. This morning I was talking with my hubby about it. For one thing, medically there is not much new right now. I am also feeling like why bother to blog. Does anybody read it? Does anybody really care what I have to say?
I am a person who needs encouragement and motivation. I belong to a website where I write a blog about the common interest of those on the site. I get lots of comments and positive feedback. It encourages me to keep writing.
This blog is different. I tend to share what is on my mind and heart. I open myself up in ways that are not always easy. When it seems like no one reads it, I feel like I have been rejected.
I subscribe to several other blogs. I read each of them. I do not always comment because I want the comments to be real,not just something I make up to let them know I read it. SO I understand that every person who reads my blog will not have a comment every time. But when no one comments, ever, then I wonder if it is worth it.
My hubby pointed out that maybe I should go back to the original purpose of the blog - to update people on my health. I have continued to do that in this blog. But people still ask me how I am doing, when I have just reminded them that it is in the blog. I have isolated one of my relatives who vows she will never ask me again how I am because I asked her to read the blog.
I have written all this as a discussion within myself-pondering where I want to go with this blog thing. Shall I do it for myself and try to overcome my feeling rejected when I feel like no one is reading it? Should I just write about my health and give up introspection and personal sharing? Should I give it up altogether?
If anyone happens to read this and has any thoughts, I'd be happy to hear them.

6 comments:

John S. said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere! I am one of the non-responders. Guilty as charged. For some reason I love to read blogs, but rarely comment. I should have taken the time to say that I enjoy your writing, your insights, and your style. I appreciate your willingness to risk being vulnerable and to share your heart. Hope your decision is to keep posting. The world will be a better place for it!

Del Smith said...

I believe John has spoken for me also. I regularly read several blogs, but comment rarely. Nevertheless, don't let the lack of comments keep you from writing!

Unknown said...

I don't read everyday as you know, but when I do read, I read the blogs that are new since I last read. I enjoy reading your blogs and often your thoughts reflect many of my own. I try to comment when I read a blog but on occasion skip it if I don't have anything worthwhile to say. I have on occasion written a blog on a website and gotten little feedback, which is okay. I said what I wanted to say. it made me feel better to say it. And in some cases, after I wrote it, I marked it private because I decided I didn't want to share my thoughts. So what I'm saying is, if it makes you feel better to write it, even if no one responds, it has served a good purpose. And remember, God knows what's on your heart, even before you write it. If He uses your blog to give you perspective that's the best purpose. When I write, I sometimes don't realize the whole picture when I start. But as I write, things fall into place. Do you have that experience, too? To me, that alone makes what I wrote worthwhile, regardless if anyone reads it or comments. I hope you don't give it up.

Anonymous said...

I do try to read this blog when I can. I do check the RSS feeds for new updates, now that John pointed out that I can tell unread ones from read ones. It can be a week or more when I check sometimes.
I am not big on responding to them, tough.
It does make it easier to get updates to your health, and pass that on to relatives who may not see the blog.

Meg Sargent said...

I enjoy reading your blogs Ruthie. I am just really bad at leaving a comment. Hugs!

Ruthie said...

A dear friend tried to comment but it did not work so here is what she wanted to add:
OK, here’s what I think, honestly and truly. I just read your post from December 6th. I think your blog serves 2 purposes: to update those of us who care and to get your own personal thoughts and feelings out from deep inside you. How painful is it to write a narrative to everyone who emails asking how you are doing? How many times can you keep relaying the same message to different people? That’s got to be draining. The blog is expedient. You say it once, people read it, they comment on it, and it’s done. As for me, I can’t comment on your blog because I can’t get access. That’s why I personally email you. Truth be told, I don’t read it every day. But, the truth is I do know it is there and can read it to catch up on your progression from ill to healthy. So, I, for one, do not want you to discontinue your blog. But, you need to make that decision, not me. If it is both informational and cathartic, then, it seems to me, you have accomplished your purpose. And that’s what I truly think. Furthermore, who cares what I think? It’s not about what I think. It’s about what you think!