Monday, November 24, 2008

A Grateful Heart

A couple of years ago we belonged to a wonderful home group as part of our church. I was in charge of leading the worship time. At Thanksgiving time we always focus on what WE are thankful for. But that year for worship, I wanted us to change our perspective and realise how because God is so giving, we are so blessed. I chose this song:

You Give
Sung by Regi Stone
Composed by Anne Downing

It's easy to think it's been me all along
Who've accomplished the things I have done
At times I can feel myself swelling with pride
As if I alone fought the battles and won
But I know the truth, Lord, it all comes from You
And now I want to give You the praises You're due

You give and You give again and again
Every gift I can trace to Your Hand
Out of Your love and compassion for man
You give and You give and You give again.

You work in my weakness, it's there I am strong
I don't understand but it's true
SO I will not glory except in the Cross
And I'll carefully give all the honor to You
Cause I know the truth, Lord, it all comes from You a
Now I want to give all the praises You're due

You give and You give again and again
Every gift I can trace to Your Hand
Out of Your love and compassion for man
You give and You give and You give again.

I could sell my last possession
Give my very life away
But nothing I can offer can compare to the way

You give and You give again and again
Every gift I can trace to Your Hand
Out of Your love and compassion for man
You give and You give and You give again.

This song captures God's heart of love in giving to us. It takes the emphasis off of us being thankful to Him being the Giver.
Yesterday Pastor's sermon captured this again - Putting the Give back in Thanksgiving. He mentioned how we should follow God's example to give and serve, not begrudgingly, but generously and cheerfully.
So as I share with you my Thanksgiving list, it is going to be in the form of listing the blessings God has given me over and over again.
First He has given me Jesus, who laid down His life, so I can be forgiven and have eternal life.
He has blessed me with a wonderful family - a loving husband, three terrific children, a great son-in-law and a precious grandson.
God has given me loving aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, brothers and sister.
My home is a gift from God.
Healing of my health issues, whether through medication, doctor care, physical therapy is all from the Lord.
Everything I have is a gift from the Lord, all my technology, clothes, books, furniture, vehicles - everything.
God provides for all of my needs - food, shelter, clothing.
All of my friends are from the Father, who is my closest friend.
My wisdom comes from His Word.
He guides and leads me. He gives me rest and fills me with joy.
All of the love in my life comes from Him because He is Love.

When I turn it around to this perspective of how giving God is, my heart overflows with love and thankfulness for Him, not just for the things He has given. And that is what Thanksgiving is all about.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

AMEN!
Thanks for the perspective and you're right. When we focus on being thankful, it's all about us. But if we focus on God as the giver, it's all about HIM.