Monday, March 9, 2009

Here's the Latest

For those who read this blog regularly, you know I have been trying since January to schedule repeat CT scan of my chest. It took over month for me to get the insurance authorization number from my doctor's office. Then I needed to have more recent blood work. Next the authorization number was for a scan without contrast and my prescription is to have one WITH contrast. I finally had it all worked out. I called to make the appointment, telling the diagnostic center I have an appointment to have my mammogram on Tuesday, so give me a CT scan appointment for that same morning. I thought we had it all set. The following afternoon there was a message on my answering machine confirming my CT scan appointment for MONDAY. I had to make yet another phone call to straighten this out. Hopefully both tests will be done tomorrow morning.
On January 12th I had another sleep test done. After three weeks of hearing nothing from the doctor as to the results, I called. There was a problem as to what machine I now needed. I rescheduled my appointment from the end of February, since he wanted me using the new machine before he sees me again. The new date was the 10th of March. When I still had heard nothing about a new machine by last Thursday, I called to reschedule the appointment again, as it was obvious I would not be using a new machine prior to that appointment.
The person I spoke to was surprised I had heard nothing more about the machine. My last information was that the supply company and the doctor differed on what machine I should be getting. She told me that in the meantime, the supply company had sent the doctor specifications for both machines (the one he ordered and the one they want to give me) to show him that both machines perform the same functions. When he looked over the specifications, he found that indeed, the one they want to bring me does exactly what he wants. He wrote a new order so they can bring me their machine. That was three weeks ago. She said she would call them and get back to me.
When she called again, she said on February 26, my insurance company denied the new machine, saying I already had two machines, one from my current (and only) medical supplier, and one from another supplier. She asked me what other company I was dealing with.
I have only one sleep machine. It has the name of the supply company all over it. I told her that. I have never dealt with any other supplier. She said she was not happy they had not let her know right away about the problem and she would call back and talk to a supervisor to try and straighten things out. In the meantime, we changed my appointment to the end of March.
John has been helping me work things out with my new sleep mask. In some ways it is so much better than the other mask. It fits against my face softly and holds the air seal so much better at the high pressure I need. It has a big problem though. It has made a sore on the bridge of my nose. It is hard to understand why, because the part that fits against the nose is soft. I have to wear a band aid all the time because it looks bad. Last night he helped me adjust the bands that hold the mask on, so the mask does not pull so tight on my nose. It was much better. My nose did not throb and ache all night like it did previously. And the track marks were much less indented on my face in the morning. Tonight I will add a piece of gauze or moleskin between the mask and my nose band aid, to give it more of a cushion.
My next medical task is to schedule an appointment with the colonoscopy doctor. Because of all of the hassles I experience with each procedure I have to have done, I cannot face too many of the battles at once. I just get worn out - emotionally. Some days I ask myself is it worth it?
When I saw my dietitian she had raised my nutritional numbers saying 3+ pounds was too much to lose in a week. Since then, I just cannot seem to lose ANY pounds, the scale wants to move higher. I am trying to not let the scale dictate my feeling of success. I know in my mind I am doing the right things. I continue to work out at the gym, even when I am hurting and do not feel like it. I continue to eat right and keep track of my food intake, making sure I stay within my nutritional values. I am trying hard not to let the scale discourage me. I have come so far and I still have far to go.
SO that is the latest on my medical issues. Stay tuned for more adventures in dealing with my health.

4 comments:

i am supergirl. said...

Oh Ruthie! Man, I wish things could be easy for you, like on the Staples commercial where they have the easy button.
But then, whatever would we learn?
Oh life, why must you torment us so?

Ruthie said...

I want that EASY button!!!

Anonymous said...

Ruthie, I wish I could be closer to you and help you deal with all this stuff! I can understand your waiting to deal with scheduling yet another procedure. I hope that the doctor's office can get the insurance mess straightened out for you over the sleep machine. Hope your tests went well today. You were on my mind and in my prayers all day!

I too would like that Easy button.

Unknown said...

That's terrible that you have run into so many obstacles. I've heard the insurance companies do it on purpose so they don't have to pay and that they try different delay tactics from one time to the next. It is good your mask is working out better but sounds like the insurance run around has continued to delay receiiving your machine unnecessisarily. Hang in there and know that I pray for you daily.