Saturday, March 21, 2009

Odd Weekend Reflections

Last weekend we went to Nashville for three days. I love Nashville. Tennessee holds so many wonderful memories for me. This weekend held a variety of experiences for me. There was annoyance, bad as well as excellent service, sweet as well as poignant visits, and spiritual blessing.
We arrived early and went to Noshville for brunch. Noshville is a NY Deli in the heart of Nashville. There is always a wait, but worth it. I had an egg white omelet with avocado and tomato, with a fresh fruit cup. Yum!
On the way to my cousin's, where we were spending the night, we made a grocery stop to get some foods I would need to boost my protein intake over the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised at what a great selection I found.
That afternoon we had a nice visit with my cousin, his mother and sister and his friend. They complimented me on my weight loss. DW (my cousin) was having a lot of pain in his legs that day.
DW had a bad night so could not go to church with us as he had planned. His friend met us there. Pastor Hardwick, the founding pastor of Christ Church Nashville, preached as Pastor Dan was with a group in Ireland. He did greet us via video though. As usual the worship was refreshing and renewing.
After church we returned to Noshville for lunch. I had the same omelet as before but added a slice of cheese to get some additional protein. The afternoon was annoying in that every time I tried to visit with DW (or do anything for that matter) I got interrupted. IT was very hard when we left, because DW's friend really wanted us to spend another night with them.
We checked into the hotel, then went to TGI Friday's for dinner. IT is the same place we ate last month on Valentine's Day. From the start, the service this time was not good. We both ordered a salad, mine came, his didn't. The waitress was not to be found, so he had to get someone from the front to send her over. She said she thought he'd want his salad with his meal. (made no sense) The food arrived - I ordered salmon over rice - what I got was chicken over salad (I do not eat chicken). Again he had to go to the front to get someone to send the waitress. She took the chicken and I told hubby to go ahead and eat so his would not get cold. After several minutes the waitress returned saying she told them to put a rush on my food and it should be two minutes. After five or more, hubby went to find the manager. He heard of our experience. When we got to why I had no meal, he said, "Let me go get your food. I'll be right back." When he returned, he said, "The salmon is hot, I pulled it off the grill myself." He apologized for the bad service and said he would take care of our check. When I had my meal for about 2 minutes, the waitress came over with a take out box mumbling something about not wanting to rush us. I said "What?" and she hurried away.
Back at the hotel, I met a very nice couple from Dallas in the workout room. It made the time go faster to have someone else there to talk to.
Monday we visited my Aunt Rosie, who I had not seen since last May. She told us how she had dropped a frozen Buffalo head on her foot a few months ago...but that is for another time.
Our next stop was a two hour drive to see some long time friends in Crossville. The husband is in a nursing home. I do not like nursing homes, and I was expecting the worse. When I saw him, I was surprised. He has lost a lot of weight, has only two teeth left and had Parkinson's, so when he grips something, he has to be pried off. But his mind is sharp and he maintains his great sense of humor. We had a good visit with both him and his wife.
On the way back to Nashville, we needed to find someplace to have dinner. We decided on Red Lobster and it was a great choice. Our waitress introduced herself and said she was going to give us excellent service - and she did!
Although our time in Nashville had its ups and downs, the flight home was smooth. During our stay I was able to work out three times and to do a better job of eating what I needed to. Thank you to my sweetie, for another great weekend.

3 comments:

John S. said...

I would have hoped that your flight back would have its ups and downs also. Ha ha.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your visit to Tenn. I'm glad it had some "ups" to make up for the "downs". That's a great name for a NY Deli, Noshville. LOL

i am supergirl. said...

I am glad your flight went better this time and without the air-sickness :)

I think every vacation has its ups and downs.. just comes standard with life. lol.