Thursday, March 19, 2009

Of sleep machines and masks

I finally had the repeat CT scan of my chest last week. First I had a mammogram that day. When they sent me to the room to get changed, they gave me a "normal" (as opposed to plus) sized gown. I was thrilled that it fit me just fine and wrapped all around me, covering the necessary body parts.
All went well with having both tests. Although I have heard nothing about the CT scan, the letter I received about the mammog
ram stated the exact same message as it has for the past ten years - that a benign area was found and to have another one done in a year.
Wednesday I got a call making an appointment to deliver my new sleep machine on Friday morning. It turns out that a company took over the medical supply place I had used previously, as well as this one
delivering the new machine. The former company no longer takes NJ clients, since it is located in Philadelphia. The new company is in NJ. This is probably what the problem was with my insurance initially.
When the technician arrived, she told me I was their first client to get this type of machine. They had only had the training on how to set i
t up the day before. It took a little while, but we finally got it figured out.
As I mentioned before the new mask I got about 3 weeks ago, although it holds the seal very well, has made a painful sore on my nose. The technician told me it was the worst she had seen. She recommended that I get a hybrid mask until my nose heals and then to try this mask
again. The mask she suggested has tubes that go up to the nostrils. These tubes are attached to a mouth mask, so there is nothing on the outer nose at all.
We were away for the weekend, but I called my sleep doctor's office first thing Monday morning to tell them to prescribe the new mask for me. I kept getting a recording saying to leave a message and they would call me back that day. At 4pm I had not heard, so I called back. The woman said she would fax the order for the mask right away.
In the meantime, I am still using the mask that hurts my nose. The nose is starting to heal, but still looks pretty bad. It is difficult getting to sleep with my nose throbbing from the pressure of the mask.
The new machine is very quiet. It works more like a ventilator. The first machine would ramp up to full pressure and stay there all night, always giving me lots of pressure. This machine has a pressure range. It measures my breathing patterns, and when I stop breathing, mimics the pressure I was breathing at. I am sleeping longer without waking up. Once I get the mask situation taken care of, I think I will be able to get a good night's sleep.
Next week I will see my primary doctor for a blood pressure check. I also want to find out CT scan results, as well as talk about eliminating at least one medication.
In my next blog I will write about my adventures on our weekend away.

2 comments:

i am supergirl. said...

ooh sucky scar :(
maybe u can try putting a piece of cloth over that part of ur nose between the plastic and ur nose...

Unknown said...

I am glad you got your new machine and that is seems to be better for you. What a horrible sore on your nose! I hope it will heal quickly. I am praying for you and I hope your dr visit will be encouraging in every way.