Thursday, November 13, 2008

Crying myself to sleep...

First, let me say to those of you who have answered my previous blog, good job!
I just got back from my sleep apnea/pulmonary doctor. I was not expecting anything but a routine check on how I am doing with my machine. Was I wrong!!!
TO start with, my BP was high again - 171/84.
The doctor was disappointed that the medical supplier had replaced my broken mask with the same cheap one instead of the high quality mask he prescribed.
He went over my xray and CT scan results and asked me yet again, if I ever smoked or had TB. He said he needs them to send him the films so he can see for himself what is going on there. He cannot figure out how I got granulomotus disease. He still wants me to have a breathing test done. One thing he was pleased about, I was not wheezing today.
He next discussed how I am a perfect candidate for surgery - I thought he meant for obstructive sleep apnea. But upon questioning him, he meant for weight loss. I assured him that with the dietitian he had sent me to I have lost 50 pounds. I do not think he believed me because he marched me right over to the scale in the receptionist area and weighed me.
Next he went over my sleep test results again. He shocked me by telling me I should go in the record books as the worst case of sleep apnea in history. He reiterated that I had stopped breathing almost 600 times in 6 hours and no other patient he has ever seen or read about even comes close.
He then pointed out how my oxygen levels drop into heart attack country.
But what he was really concerned about, he said, was that even using the machine I stopped breathing 120 times in 6 hours and my oxygen level continue to be dangerously low under 80%. He is worried I will have a heart attack, even using the machine.
The result is I have to have another sleep study done on December 11th (if insurance approves) using a machine that gives higher pressure to see if they can correct the stoppage of breathing better. IF that machine does not do it, they will put me on a different type of machine that is more like a ventilator, it will control my breathing more, rather than just assist it. He also said they will add oxygen into the mix if my level continue to be so low during the study.
Depending on the results of the study, he thinks I need a new machine - one that costs over $8000. He said he knows the insurance will reject it and he will have to write a ten page letter justifying my need of it.
So here I am again, trying not to be discouraged. The sleep apnea was one area I thought was under control with the machine. I appreciate your prayers for my continuing health issues.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!!

I will pray for the insurance company to be reasonable.

I hate insurance companies. They made diagnosing my husband very difficult his summer. (Read PC Updates on my blog for the full story). But at least insurance paid the half million in bills and we only paid about 1% in copays/deductables.

I'm sending hugs your way.

Anna (sp)

Anonymous said...

Ruthie....I was just thinking about how you were doing the other day, and wholaa---I got an update on my e-mail. Sounds like you have a decent doctor who is fighting to help your condition. That's a big plus. I think he/she is a "keeper". God surrounds you with favor, but you still have to do your part and sometimes be very persistent in seeking out things. Continue to pray for wisdom from God and He will definitly direct you in the way you should go.

Be blessed,

Diane

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruthie!
I was thinking about you the other day, and then I get your update on your medical. You know I am praying daily for you my friend! Your doctor sounds really like a gem and concerned very much, that is a big plus to have a caring doctor. Keep your Faith thru all this....it is hard, but The Great Physician will heal you completely in His time! I will give you a call either tomorrow or some time over the weekend.
Praying for you without ceasing for healing. That is great on your weight loss.
Hugs
and Prayers
Love Ya
Lois

Anonymous said...

keep me updated.... anything i can do to help you know i am here for you :)

Pearlfleur said...

I cam only imagine how difficult this sleep issue must be for you. But it sounds as if you have a good doctor, who is going to work hard to get the best for you. You have an abiding faith, and that will help you get through this. I am sending good wishes your way.

Pearl