Saturday, November 8, 2008

Following my mind trail

My grandson called me the other day to tell me he had four loose teeth. When they came out, he said he was going to hide them from the tooth fairy. I explained maybe he should not hide them too much because if the fairy could not find them, perhaps he would not get a prize.
That conversation got me thinking about cute things kids say. I recalled when Zack's mother was in preschool, I noticed, especially when she was tired, she would put a hand over one eye when she looked at things. I took her to the eye doctor to check it out. When we got home, her daddy asked her where she had been. She told him the eye doctor. He asked, why did she go there. Her answer, "He wanted to see if I was good looking." Adorable.
I then began to think about her as a child. She had this favorite possession, which she got as an infant. It was a pink bunny blanket. It had the head of a bunny and sort of a puppet body made out of blanket. She could not be without it. I had to buy a second one and let it get worn equally to the original, so I could wash it once in a while. She cuddled it when she slept and rubbed its softness against her face.
When she was older, she continued to sleep cuddling this "Booie".
At some point she got one of those clip on reading lamps, which she clipped to her headboard. One morning when I awoke I smelled something burning. I looked all around the house, but found nothing, until I went into her room. The lamp was leaning on her pillow and it was smoldering, so close to her precious face. What saved her, keeping her from being burned, was her Booie". It was charred, almost beyond recognition, but our sweetheart was not harmed in any way. (The lamp was thrown away).
To this day, she keeps that charred remains inside of the other Booie. It is much loved still.
It made me think of what Jesus has done for us. He has taken our place and saved us. He has kept us from the punishment we deserve. His love drew Him to die for us. And I love Him with all my heart for it. Just like that Booie saved my girl and she continues to love and cuddle it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still sleep with my Booie even though she needs some reconstructive surgery.

Anonymous said...

While reading this, we thought of the time we were arranging to have siding installed on the house, and Sara was apparently feeling left out, and softly complained she was "not getting any cooperation".

Unknown said...

Melinda has a "babboo" more tattered than one I made her to "replace" the tattered one that was beyond repair. She keeps the "old ones" inside the one I made. LOL