Thursday, February 5, 2009

Can't Live Without Them

I get lots of emails. Many of them ask me to do things, like forward to ten people so bad things won't happen to me. I am not much on clogging up my friends emails, so I rarely forward them. Sometimes I get surveys to fill out. Most of the time I answer them and pass them along. Recently one of the questions asked "List a place you go over and over". My answer? To the doctor. Over this past year I have made more doctor's visits than probably all total of my whole life previous to last year. So I have had a lot of experience in dealing with doctors this past twelve months. I have found out some things in dealing with doctors.
If I am over ten minutes late for an appointment, I will be charged $25 and have to reschedule. Yet, the doctor NEVER sees me at the time of my appointment - it is usually a minimum of 30 minutes past my appointment time when he enters the room. I guess his time is worth more than mine.
For the most part doctors are willing to take the time to listen to my concerns. Most of the time they do not hurry me along or appear to be in a rush. (probably the reason for the previous problem).
Some doctors love giving or ordering tests. I, as a patient, do not like having tests.
I need to have a repeat CT scan done. Almost a month ago I called the doctor's office asking them to get the authorization number from my insurance company so I can have this test. I called back once a week since then and was told "We will call you when we get the authorization." Yesterday while at my appointment, I mentioned to the doctor about this. He said"We will take care of this TODAY." He marched up to the front desk and told them to get me the number now. The women working there said,"That has already been taken care of" and spent the next ten minutes fluttering around, pretending to look for the paperwork. Of course it was not found, as nothing had been done about it. The one woman who took care of it under similar circumstances last time, told me she would call my insurance company and find out what the status is and call me back. When I got home, the nurse called and asked who ordered the CT scan. Can you believe this? Just further proof that nothing had been done previously. The helpful one called me and told me the insurance company had no record of a request for authorization and would have an answer within 48 hours. At least she was honest that nothing had been done.
I had a sleep test done almost a month ago and this week had still not heard from the doctor as to the results. This was the doctor who was so very concerned about the severity of my sleep apnea. GO figure. I called his office. The nurse told me she knew he had ordered me a new machine. I was shocked. Without even discussing it with me. She made a lame excuse about my files being at the other office (I called the office where I am seen by the doctor) and promised he would call me the next day. In the meantime she suggested I called the company that supplies my machine. What a joke - I do not even know anything about the machine. What am I supposed to say?
About 5 pm the next day the doctor did call. I do not know who was more confused - me or him. First he told me he ordered the medical supply company to come adjust my machine. Then when I asked him about my oxygen levels during the test he said, "Your oxygen levels were good - 93%. SO when they bring your new machine, tell them you do not need the oxygen and send that back." Wait a minute, a new machine? Oxygen machine? Then I asked did he order a new mask since the one I have is too small. He said, "I want you to wear a full face mask (which I already do). Call the company and tell them to bring you a new mask when they bring the machine." All of this equipment requires a doctor's prescription. I cannot call and tell them anything.
When I went for my gyn exam this week, I saw a nurse practitioner. She cannot write prescriptions. She told me she would check with the doctor about whether I should continue on the medication for hypoplasia or not. She told me she would call me that afternoon and let me know. I am still waiting.
Dealing with medical issues is hard enough. But having to expend all of the energy to follow up makes it harder. Then when professionals do not do their part, and I have to keep calling and asking, it is overwhelming.
If I did not have God as my Source and my Strength, I would be ready to give up. But He picks me up when I am down and discouraged, and helps me take the next step.
My final thought is: Doctors - can't live without them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What an ordeal with those drs! It sure does make doing what you're supposed to do more difficult!