Thursday, February 19, 2009

Medical update - Nothing is SImple

Nothing is simple. Everything takes an act of Congress to get accomplished.
When I last wrote about my medical situation, the insurance company had messed up our address so I had to wait to schedule the CT scan.
I called this week to schedule the scan. It seems that since my last blood work was in August, they need me to have another set of blood work before they can schedule the scan. They must check my kidney function before giving me the contrast. I called the doctor's office telling them what I needed and why. They called me back saying the doctor had left the order at the front desk for me.
I went this morning, picked up the order from the doctor's office and headed over to the Lab. It seems everyone in Bucks County needed lab work today, so there was a long line.
There were two women working, but I think one must have been a trainee, because all she did was watch. The other one had to do all of the paperwork, type everything into the computer, make all of the copies, answer the phone AND do the lab work. SO progress was slow.
When it was my turn, I asked that in addition to the doctor, would they also fax it to OVDC where I will have the CT scan done. No, unless the doctor had it written on the order, they can only send it to the doctor and to me. SO I asked that they send it to me also. Again - nothing is simple. The doctor does not want or need this blood work done. It is the Diagnostic Center who needs it, but they cannot order it, only a doctor can order it. And so on.
In my last medical update, I mentioned how confused I was about the report from my sleep doctor and that I had a call in to the medical supply place to schedule my machine to be adjusted. When the woman called me back to schedule it, she asked for all of the information about my machine and determined it could not do what was needed. She said the technician would bring a new machine, similar to what I have now and we would trade. I was okay with that. The appointment was for today.
When I returned from the blood work, the woman called me to say that the doctor has asked for a specific machine, which she had not noticed. The machine they were going to bring does the same as the one he ordered, it is just a different manufacturer. They have called the doctor to ask if it is okay to give me the machine they have. There is no word back from him yet. I will not be getting a machine today.
Although these things may sound simple, to me they all add up. It is such an effort to get anything done. I get to feeling overwhelmed, frustrated and worn out. I run out of energy to keep moving ahead. If you have never had to deal on an ongoing basis with a lot of medical issues for any length of time, you probably cannot relate. But as I said, nothing is simple.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Ruthie I can so relate. I have been dealing with the VA for several years with hubby's stuff. When they wanted a sleep study for him he had to go to Lebanon pick up the equipment use it for two nights I believe then return the equipment for reading. Now Lebanon is about one and a half to two hrs from here. Depending on traffic. Then once they got back to him on the results he had to go again and get a machine on loan take it back in a few days and then pick up another one that would be considered his. A lot of trips to the VA Hosp. for one thing!!! Sometimes it drives me nuts. My family doctor wants me to have a sleep study done I need to see if my insurance would cover it as I don't want to go through all those trips to VA
I hope they get everything straighten out for you. I don't like to deal with red tape.. I think if the doctor has ordered it or says you need it then insurance should take care of it. But I won't get on that soapbox either.

Hang in there. Still praying for a complete healing for you.

i am supergirl. said...

hey, if life was simple it would be boring.

that kind of stuff makes me itrate too.
it just shouldn't happen.

Unknown said...

It's really sad that the red tape involve for medical tests and insurance make it so much worse to deal with. I can't imagine you are looking forward to the CT scan, and yet you have to work so hard to make it happen. I'm sure many patients have just given up. It says a lot about your commitment to good health that you have not given up in spite of all the obstacles. I pray your health will improve and that it will get easier.