Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Valentine's Day Weekend (Part One - Traveling and Eating Out)

Usually when I write this blog, I am not real organized. I just write what comes to mind, in no particular order. This time, although it will probably be in the same style, I have several thoughts I want to share, so I am going to do it in several blogs.
This past weekend was Valentine's Day, as we all know. My sweet h
ubby took me to one of my favorite places for the weekend - to Nashville.
All week we thought our Saturday flight was out of Philadelphia at about noon. Saturday morning, when we checked, it was actually at 2:05.
Although I was excited about making this trip, there was one area of concern to me - having to eat out for so many meals. Since changing my eating habits, eating out has become more of a challenge for me. I need to pay particular attention that I get enough protein, but not too muc
h fat or carbs.
Since our flight was a bit later than we expected, I made a mistake. I ate a big lunch, making sure I got plenty of protein, thinking this would make it easier to find the right foods later in the day.
I have not flown in almost a year and I cannot tell you how long ago that I got airsick. This was a very smooth flight, but I felt awful. My head was pounding and spinning, my stomach doing flip flops. That 2 hour flight felt like the longest air trip I had ever taken (and I have been to Hawaii!). In addition, I had not planned my pain medication very well. It wore off about a half an hour into the flight. Because of my back problems, I need to sit upright. The airline seats do not sit far enough up, so I have to lean forward to get in an upright position. This gives my back no support. During the remainder o
f the flight, I just could not get into a position where my back was not aching.
When we had landed and wee in the rental car, I ate a protein bar, hoping it would help my queasy stomach. It did help a little. About 4:45 CT we found a TGI Fridays to stop for dinner. Considering it was Saturday night AND Valentine's Day, although we had to wait, it was not that long. We ordered pecan crusted salmon, served over rice with vegetables and I also got an extra side of vegetables. I felt this was a very good choice, for getting lots of protein with few carbs (I did not eat the rice).
Sunday breakfast was continental style at the hotel. There were many choices available, but few that really met my needs. I opted for a packet of instant oatmeal made with water, an egg, and a container of lowfat yogurt (I could not find any fat free). When I logged those into the nutrition tracker, I found I had used half of my fat grams for the day and was way over on carbs. Not such good choices after all.
For lunch and dinner I made sure I had plenty of vegetables and salmon at one meal and shrimp at the other. Looking at the overall day, I was over on my fats, but most was from fish, so it was "good" fat, within my carb range and low on protein.
Monday breakfast held the same variety, so this time I opted for Raisin Bran with nonfat yogurt and an egg. It was still high on carbs and fat, but a little better than Sunday.
Since my flight there was so rough, I decided I would not eat lunch before our 12:30 flight home. I made it much better. And I stuffed my coat behind me on the seat, so my back did not hurt as much. On the way home, I ate a protein bar. When we arrived, I made myself a high protein shake.
When choosing where we would stay in Nashville, I made sure the hotel had a gym room. SO each of the three days, I was able to walk on the treadmill and/or ride the recumbent bike for 40 to 60 minutes. And last night I went to the gym with a friend and did some strength training, as well as walked the track 8 times (not consecutively) which totals a mile.
Overall, although I would have been happier to have had more control of my eating choices, I am happy with how I did in that area. Today is weigh in at the gym, so we will see...
(Still to come: Christ Church Nashville and Visiting family)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you did pretty good with your choices but it also sounds like you had a challenge trying to stay within the nutrition guidelines you're following. Glad you flight back was much better for you.