Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The COntinuing Saga

I began writing this blog to keep people who were interested up to date with what is going on with me medically. There was one comment which complained that all I did was talk about myself in the blog. Well, as the subtitle explains this is about "My life such as it is".
The last time I wrote I had heard from the sleep doctor, but was still confused, I was waiting to hear from the gyn about whether to continue my medication and I was trying to get an authorization number to have a repeat CT scan.
On Friday I had a message from the gyn explaining that I was to continue the medication but needed to talk to her about how to take it. I called her back well before the time she stated, but got an after hours message and told to call back on Monday.
At this point I had enough of the medication to last through Tuesday night, but that is only day 11 of a 21 day cycle of taking it. When I called on Monday, I was told she would not be in until after 3, and put through to her nurse. All I got was an answering machine and had to leave a message. The nurse did return my call in a few hours, but could only take a message. When I told her about how much of the medicine I had left, she then said she would take care of calling it into my pharmacy and call me back with instructions on Tuesday.
While I was out at Home group last night, the gyn did leave a message giving me instructions and this morning the nurse called to confirm the medication had been called into the pharmacy. Check one thing off the list. But look at the time and effort it takes for something as simple as renewing a medication.
Yesterday morning I also received a call from my regular doctor's office giving me the authorization number for the CT scan. BUT, she told me, there was a problem which had to be dealt with before I could schedule the CT scan. My insurance has the wrong address and phone number for me and I needed to call them to straighten that out.
Nothing is ever simple for me. I called customer service. The woman answers the phone saying she wants to provide me with excellent service today. She asked for my insurance ID number, my name and birth date. Then she says that to verify who I am please give her my address and phone number. I explained that was why I was calling. I was told that they now have the wrong information for me and I want to correct it. Well, it seems that she cannot even talk to me about the account unless I verify the address. SO I tell her the address and she says that is not correct, what was your former address. I told her we had lived here for 24 years and had only been members of Horizon Blue Cross for 3 or 4 years, so there was no former address. This is the ONLY address. Finally I told her my Dunellen address and she said that was not correct either. She could also not tell me what the incorrect address is, although she verified that our paperwork is being sent to that incorrect address. The only way to correct it, she informed me, was to call my husband's employer and have them correct the information.
I called my husband and explained it all to him. Fortunately he was on his way home. When he arrived, he called the insurance company and got the same treatment. He asked for a supervisor, but she told him the same thing - his employer must make the correction.
He contacted the HR person from his company and she made the call to the insurance company. Guess what? They told HER they have the correct address. She verified that they indeed do. SO she related our story to whoever she talked to and they gave her an incident number for us to use if we need to make contact. What this means is that they messed up somewhere and are going to try and correct their problem. (We know that this is a new problem because as recently as last week we got a statement about my son's chest xray from them.)
Whew! IS it any wonder I am overwhelmed by all of this?
Early this morning I got a computer call from UPS saying they have a delivery from the medical supply company for me which will have to be signed for. I suspect this is my new sleep machine. But I have several questions about the package before I will accept it. OF course, the medical supply place does not open as early as the UPS call came in.
I tried again after 9am. When I asked the customer service rep what was the package they were sending, she replied a full face sleep mask, but she could not tell me what size it is.
She said the only other order on file is for an adjustment to my machine (not for a new machine) and transferred me to schedule that appointment. I had to leave a message and someday someone will call me back, I hope.
I am happy to hear that my machine will be adjusted and that I do not need a new machine. I am used to this one and understand how it works. But that phone conversation with the sleep doctor last week still confuses me.
ON a positive note, since starting the I Lost It program at the gym two weeks ago, I have lost 5.4 more pounds! That is something to celebrate. With all of the stress I feel about dealing with all of these medical problems, I am usually up for a good workout when I go to the gym. I guess that is the positive side of having a hard time getting anything accomplished. At least it is helping me pound off the pounds!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I read over your last few blogs - I chuckled at your dilema. I know it is not funny but very serious to you and I understand and feel your frustration and well deserved. But I chuckled because it was like watching an old I Love Lucy show - so many things going wrong. Here's praying all that red tape gets in line and you are no longer entangled in it... and the correct scales saga - so true. But we know that we are losing well even though we can not be 100% accurate on all scales.
Keep up the good work even if you can lose and gain all in one day. lol!

Unknown said...

I continue to pray for you. I can only imagine the frustration you feel with so many obstacles blocking you when you're doing what you're told to do. At times like that, I ask God to help and intervene, to help me do what I'm supposed to do in His plan and to open the doors that need to be opened. I'm sure you have sought His help to keep going while it seems so difficult to keep going. It's hard enough dealing with health issues, annoyance caused by incompetence and misinformation make it so much worse. I had to (figuratively) scratch my head and laugh a bit about the comment "All you do is talk about yourself." First of all, I don't think that's true. It's your perspective but your life is not isolated. You talk about interacting with people, reacting to things that happen, and how God helps you keep going. What else can we write about but what we know and what we experience. As you said, your subtitle is "My life such as it is." not world news.
I see I'm not the only Linda reading and responding to your blog! LOL
Congrats on losing more weight!

Anonymous said...

Ruthie
I have read your last couple blogs and I know where you are coming from. I think the insurance companies are in the business of making things difficult and confusing. This coming from someone whose major was insurance and billing when I took my medical administrative assistant classes. My sister tried to get me to take on the insurance mess for my Mom.. I told her she had started it so she should finish it... And just because I had classes did not make it any clearer.
It sure doesn't help the health issues when we have to deal with the insurance companies.
I continue to pray for you that God will completely restore your health. We know He is able and we also know that everything comes in His time.
So keep on keeping on, Keep holding on to that nail scarred hand. He loves you!
Dottie