Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Valentine's Day Weekend (Part 2 -Christ Church Nashville)


Several years ago, when I sang in the choir of the church we were attending, the choir director spoke often about a wonderful church choir in Nashville. We sang some of their music and he was very enthusiastic about how special this choir was.
One summer when I was spending time in the Nashville area, I mentioned to my cousin about this choir. She immediately knew what I was talking about and said we should go to the church the next Sunday.
From the moment the tires of my car hit the pavement of the church's parking lot, I felt the presence of God in a powerful way. Christ Church Nashville is indeed a special place.
I know that since I asked Jesus into my life, that He always dwells
within me, as He does in all believers. SO whenever believers gather together, God is present. Sometimes, though, He manifests His presence in such powerful ways, that it is more "visible" than other times.
Christ Church Nashville, when I first visited, was pastored by Pastor Hardwick, who had been there for 50+ years. He is one of the sweetest, most godly men, I have ever known. It is a testimony that he served there over 50 years and was still greatly loved by the entire congregation. Because of his compassion, the personality of the church was loving and friendly.
Before the service begins, the curtain is lowered. There are three clicks on the drumsticks, the start of the worship instruments, the sound of the choir and the curtain rises, the service has begun.
I cried through most of the first services I attended. For me to experience the presence of God in such a profound way was life changing. Worship there is all about God. The choir ushers us into His presence powerfully.
I have grown to love worshipping at that church. It is like nothing else I have ever experienced. And it happens every time I worship there.
SO for Valentine's Day, my sweet hubby took me to Christ Church Nashville.
When we sat down, immediately the woman behind us introduced herself and struck up a conversation. When her husband arrived, she introduced us. A sweet elderly lady came down the aisle greeting everyone and introducing herself, asking about us. The curtain fell. Soon there were the drumsticks, followed by the powerful strains of verse three of How Great Thou Art by the choir. What a way to start the service!
Pastor Dan Scott encouraged the Body to worship, to offer up our needs, to trust the Lord to meet us.
We read the Scripture responsively. During the baby dedications, the foreheads, thumbs and big toes of the babies are anointed with oil, symbolic of putting their minds on God, doing God's will and following God's path.
As worship continued, it was obvious God was at work. People were going to the altar, kneeling in prayer, there was sobbing in the pews. It was nearing the end of worship time, and the Pastor was heading toward the stage. He felt God telling him we needed to sing "Draw Me Nearer Nearer Precious Lord". Before he could get to the pulpit to direct this song, or even say anything about it, the worship leader was already singing it. God was truly in the house. Instead of cutting it off, the Pastor went with the flow of the Spirit. There was a message in tongues and an interpretation . More people came forward to kneel and pray at the altar. What a sweet time of fellowship with the Lord.
The Pastor inspired us with a very shortened version of his sermon on Hearing the Call of the Kingdom. I left feeling refreshed, renewed and inspired by God's presence.
It amazes me how a church like this, which to me is already excellent, continues to grow and reach out for a deeper experience with God. How their worship truly focuses on God and ushers me into His presence. I am truly blessed to have been there on Sunday. Thank you, my sweetie, for giving me such a gift.
(Still to come - Visiting family)

3 comments:

i am supergirl. said...

Ruthie! WOW! This church reminds me of my church in Arkansas. We had the same kind of worship there: very powerful. I have been to several other churches since I moved back to California and none of their worship services can compare.

Anonymous said...

Oh What a wonderful experience that must have been. I miss that kind of service here. So many times the spirit is quenched. People try to put God in a box. If they would let Him out oh what miracles we would see. I remember growing up in the Foursquare Church. We had Sunday School, Morning worship (often went past 1pm) Then we had evening services that sometimes would last very late. Plus the children and youth ministries. And then we met on Weds. Nowadays you have Church on Sunday morning and thats about it. No Sunday school, No evening services.. I miss that. Our old church in KC still had Sunday school and all the other services.
2 hours on a Sunday Morning is not enough time. We have started attending a place on Friday nite that has a lite meal and then breaks into groups and has bible study. It is really cool.
I was so glad to hear about this church. It is good to know that there are still some that are letting God lead the service and not following their own agenda. Praise His Holy Name.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful experience for you to have this weekend. I am happy that John was able to give you for Valentines day an experience that was truly refreshing spiritually.