Monday, February 2, 2009

The Super Bowl - my take

I am not a sports fan - never have been, probably never will be.
Every year, though, my hubby tries to get me to watch the Super Bowl. It started with just coming into the room to watch the halftime show. These usually do not impress me. Although I did enjoy Paul McCartney one
year.
Gradually it has worked up to watching the entire game. SO last nigh
t I found myself watching Super Bowl XLIII.
First I had to figure out who was playing. I saw the little bird head on the side of one team's helmets and had to ask what kind of bird it was - okay, the Arizona Cardinals. Ignorant as I am about sports, the only Cardinals team I had heard of was in baseball, so this was a new revelation to me - a Cardinals football team. Do they even have cardinals in Arizona?
TO me, football looks like a bunch of big guys trying to jump on each other at every opportunity. How many ways can they find to bump, trip and bring each other down?
Some of the guys wear a little towel at their waist - what is that for?
One Steeler had a special collar at the back of his neck. Was this a fashion statement?
There were a lot of men out there on the field, but all night I kept hea
ring about Kurt Warner, Kurt Warner, Kurt Warner. Like he was the only one out there. And his team, although they apparently made the game very exciting, did not even win!
I always hear so much hype about the fantastic Super Bowl commercials. How they cost so much money. How they are the best commercials out there. With few exceptions, I was not impressed with the commercials. They are, after all, ads. Some were in poor taste. Some
used offensive (to me) language. The etrade babies were cute and a couple of the horse ads (for beer) were cute.
I guess the highlight for me was "the Boss" at halftime. Bruce Springsteen is the same age as I am.
When he was laid back on the stage stretching as the halftime show began, I understood from a personal perspective how hard that is to do. His energy was contagious. He packed into 12 minutes more than I could have hoped for. Classics like 10th Avenue Freeze Out and Born to Run, as well as new ones. Adding a gospel choir for a couple of minutes was a nice touch. How do they synchronize the fireworks to the music like that? Bruce had it all. One of the best halftime shows in my memory.
The last quarter of the game was very exciting. I went out into the kitchen to get some fruit and my husband started screaming for me to come back and watch the replay of the Cardinals taking back the lead. That guy did make a nice run.
I still do not understand when they get penalties for too much aggression or whatever it is called. Isn't that what this game is about? And if the team gets a penalty, how come they end up with the ball?
I watched it until the end. I saw the Steelers win. Both teams apparently played well. But I still do not understand football.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also thought that the Cardinals were a baseball team. I asked Michael the same thing.

Unknown said...

I didn't watch the Superbowl, although on occasion I have. I have watched football games since I was in high school. I don't understand the game. I should check youtube to see if they have Springsteen on there. LOL Other than that, I don't think I missed much.