Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Ice Cube Tray


Yesterday I looked into the freezer, wanting to get ice cubes for my water. My dietitian suggested drinking cold water as a way of boosting the metabolism. When I took out the ice cube box, it was empty. No problem, I thought, I'll just empty a tray of ice cubes into the box. That's when trouble hit, the ice cube tray was already empty. Whoever had used the ice cubes had not bothered to refill it. They had not even removed the tray from the freezer so anyone else would know it was empty and needed to be refilled. This was not a life shattering moment, to say the least. But it did make me think of something.
Sometimes I feel like that ice cube tray. People come and take from me. I also give and give to others. But there comes a point when I am running on empty. All my little sections have been emptied and I need some refilling.
When this happens, sometimes I do not take the tray out of the freezer and I kind of wait around for someone to notice and restore to me some of what I have given to them. This usually is not a good option.
When I turn to the source of my strength, it is then that I am restored. I admit I am empty and need His love and forgiveness to continue on. I turn to Jesus and His Word. If I would only go to Him more often, my tray would never be empty. He has promised us Living Water so we'll never thirst again.
Our church is doing The Truth Project for the next couple of months. Last week something in the lesson really knocked me between the eyes. The question was posed, "Do I live like I know that Jesus is always with me, watching and hearing everything I do and say?" How different would my day to day living be if I realized the full impact of having Jesus always with me?
For one thing, my tray would never be empty.

2 comments:

Meg Sargent said...

I really like how you ended your blog. I remind my children of that when they aren't behaving the best. Usually straightens them right up. I have to remind myself of that at times too because HE is always watching us and there with us.

Unknown said...

Interesting analogy with the ice cube tray. You took that story in a completely different direction than I anticipated. It's true, people can drain us and leave us empty but Jesus is never empty and He restores us.