Thursday, October 2, 2008

America's Got Talent

Last night was the finale of this season's America's Got Talent. I think America got it absolutely right this year.
I watched the entire season, suffering through some painfully awful auditions. But from the very first night, I was captured by Neal E Boyd. He touched my heart by his humble beginnings and his passionate singing. Although I am no opera fan, when he sang Nessun Dorma it brought tears to my eyes.
The next day I visited his website and found out that several years before he contracted a serious vocal infection and was told he might never sing again. But here he was competing on AGT.
He made it through the Las Vegas eliminations, to the top 40, then the top 20, then the top 10 to the final 5. Each time he sang, his powerful voice and emotional humility touched my heart.
There are others I liked on this season's AGT. Nuttin But Stringz blew me away with their original compositions and stunning violin work. This is a group I would definitely love to see in concert - talented and entertaining. I liked them best without all of the background videos and circ de soliel acts. Eli Mattson caught my attention at his audition when he sang "Walking in Memphis". His unique voice and heartfelt piano playing are certainly spectacular.
But when it came right down to voting - Neal always had my vote. There is just something special about him.
The judges were sure Nuttin But Stringz would win. I think that certainty was their doom. People figured they were going to win, so why bother to vote for them.
I think of those top three, Neal needed the win the most. Nuttin But Stringz and Eli Mattson will both make it on their own. They have a contemporary style that will promote their success.
Neal's powerful voice needs a strong backing to promote him. His style is not as contemporary, but oozing with talent and heart.
So I think America got it absolutely right making Neal E Boyd the winner of AGT. I can't wait for his first cd to be released.

1 comment:

Del Smith said...

I'm no opera fan either, Ruthie, but I must say the dude can sing!