Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Thoughts on Worship

(Disclaimer: The following is entirely my own opinion and preferences. It is not intended to criticize or offend. )
What is worship? For me it is entering God's presence to relate to Him in a personal, intimate way. Worship prepares my heart to hear the preaching of His Word. Although at times, it is corporate (at church), it is still a very individual experience for me. It is a time to praise God, for Who He is and for What He has done. It is a time to open my heart and pour out the love I have for Him.
Over the years I have been in many different types of worship services. I have come to realise that there are certain things that enhance my worship and others that detract from it.
On a personal level, whenever I hear Don Moen sing, I am immediately drawn into the Lord's presence. The Holy Spirit works through Don in such a powerful way that I cannot help but to bask in His presence. I commune with the Lord in a deeply personal way.
Several years ago I attended a church that as soon as my car entered the parking lot, I felt God's presence in a profound way. The entire service I was crying because God was real and moving among His people. From the music to the sermon, I was worshipping a very present Lord. I felt Him all around me, encircling me with His arms. Each time I have been able to go back to that church, I experience the same profound presence of the Lord.
There is no magic formula. I know wherever God's people are, He is in their midst. But sometimes I cannot find Him.
When I worship I am focusing on Jesus. I want to commune with Him. Unfortunately when the worship leader begins to sermonize, it takes the focus off of worshipping the Lord and onto the worship leader. I think it is best to leave the sermons to the Pastor. Allow the Holy Spirit to flow and work. Do not force it.
(On a tangential issue - It also bothers me when the words of the songs are posted but no copyright information is displayed, no credit given to the Christian artists who have written these beautiful songs, and deserve the credit and royalties involved)
Worship is one of the most wonderful ways we have of communicating and relating to Jesus. My desire is for deeper worship, focused entirely on Him, Who is worthy of all of our praise.

No comments: