Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Thoughts on the CT scan

A week ago Pastor Del wrote about worries in his blog.
I knew he wrote it just for me. I had been worrying over having to have a CT scan of my lungs and worrying about the runaround trying to get it scheduled. He ended his blog with "
Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. (Proverbs 12:25)"
I was feeling pretty much weighed down. SO I began to speak encouragement to others. It got my mind off of my situation and allowed me to leave it in God's hands.
Today I finally had my CT scan. I arrived at the center, filled out the paperwork and had the use the ladies room. Good thing, too. I was so nervous that when I got dressed I had put my pants on backwards!!! After I finished laughing at myself, and rearranged my clothes, I was taken to the back.
My technician was friendly and upbeat. She explained that I would be lying on my back, with my feet towards the scanner. The scanner looks like a huge tan tire. At this time it was at the end of the table. She explained that she would be inserting an IV into my vein with the contrast liquid.
I asked what I would experience when it entered my body. Although each person is different , she said most people feel heat going through their body and perhaps a sensation of having to go to the bathroom.
I laid on the table, she propped a pillow under my knees. Then the hardest part of the procedure began - trying to find a vein to use for the IV. Having had to fast, not eating or drinking since 10pm last night, I knew this was going to be difficult. She tried my left arm, nothing looked promising. She tried the right arm and thought she had a good vein. After moving all of the equipment over to my right, when she poked the vein, it collapsed. SO it was back to the left. By this time a second technician had arrived, and they were able to insert the IV into my left arm.
I had to raise my arms over my head, then the table began to move toward the scanner. She left the room and the machine did the rest. It told me when to breathe and when to take a breath and hold it. The actual scan took less than three minutes.
I felt relieved that it was finished. I have to confess something here, though. It is hard for me to have these tests done alone. When I am driving there, I am so nervous. When I am sitting in the waiting room alone, I wish someone was there to hold my hand. I have to keep telling myself I am not alone, Jesus is always with me. But like s child once said, sometimes I need Jesus with skin on. Afterwards, I want someone to hug me and give me a smile of encouragement.
Now I must await the results.

1 comment:

Del Smith said...

Trust God with the results, Ruthie. He's alway's in control even when He appears not to be!