Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Good Laugh

Proverbs 17:22(KJV) 22 A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

For the last several months I have had a pretty rough time. I have not found a whole lot to laugh about.
Well over a year ago (Probably closer to two), my daughter told me about a show of improvised comedy. It was only on in reruns, but I decided to give it a try. I watched it a few times and it never failed to make me laugh. The sketches were all performed without prior rehearsal by the four comedians. I was hooked. The show is "Whose Line Is It Anyway".

On each show four comedians, three regulars and one guest, improvise situations and they never fail to amuse.
Last fall we went to see two of the men from that show, Brad Sherwood and Colin Mochrie perform live. We enjoyed it so much we saw them again in May and then again last night.
All of their sketches are improvised on the spot, with suggestions from the audience. They ask for weird and uncommon suggestions, which makes it funnier. People from the audience go up on stage and "help". One couple participated in the game "Jeopardy", but Brad and Colin spoke for them, all they had to do was move their lips. During another skit, people from the audience made the sound effects for them.
My favorite was when Brad left the auditorium and Colin got suggestions from the audience about a crime that he was going to get Brad to confess to. Although I cannot remember it exactly it went something like this: While wearing fish-net bat wings and a cheerleader outfit, he performed open-heart surgery on illegal animals and stole Sir Isaac Newton's peanut butter and jelly sandwiches from an armpit sniffing mortician's apprentice's wife's house in Playwickie Park, using a turkey juicer. It was Colin's job to give Brad clues through his interrogation which would lead Brad to say the correct words. We laughed so hard as they did this.
The entire evening was hysterical. We laughed until we cried at times.
It did my heart good like medicine. Laughter can help us deal with hard situations. It can lighten our heaviness. It can be healing. I encourage you all to find something to laugh about every day - maybe even yourself sometimes. See how much better you will feel.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You got it right! LOL At least to my recollection that was the crime Brad confessed to! hahahahaha! What's a turkey juicer anyway? And what are illegal animals? hahahahahaha!