Wednesday, October 8, 2008

When I hear the Thunder

As I have said before I love music - a variety of kinds. I especially love songs that have a message that touches my heart in some way, that I can relate to what I am going through at the moment. The other day I wrote about Don Moen's "I Will Sing". Today it is a southern gospel song, sung by a group of young guys who are called Crossway. This song has some powerful lyrics.

When I Hear the Thunder

Sometimes at night I cry myself to sleep
After everybody else has gone to bed
Knowing once again I've gotten in too deep
And the waters will soon be above my head
And I beg of you to change the world around me
So tomorrow won't be looking quite so dim
And I awake to the waters deep enough to drown me
But through it all you taught me how to swim
Chorus:
And when I hear the thunder and I think I'm going under
I remember you're the lifter of my head
You've had a thousand chances to change my circumstances
But thank you, Lord, for changing me instead.

There are times I can't help feeling lost
Like a ship drifting on the open sea
And the wind and waves leave me pitched and tossed
And a storm begins to build inside of me
And I beg of you to change the world around me
As fear and faith are fighting for control
Amid the raging waters swirling all around me
You've become the anchor for my soul
Chorus:
And when I hear the thunder and I think I'm going under
I remember you're the lifter of my head
You've had a thousand chances to change my circumstances
But thank you, Lord, for changing me instead.

I can so relate to the line "as fear and faith are fighting for control". This rings so true for me the past few months as I have faced many medical issues. I hang on to my faith, but the fear of the unknown, the fear of awaiting test results, wondering what it all will mean, is a constant struggle.
The chorus just plays over and over in my mind ending with "You've had a thousand chances to change my circumstances..." (How many times I have prayed for that) "...but thank you, Lord, for changing me instead."
Amen to that. My circumstances have not changed, but my heart has. I am much more able to trust the Lord in my situation, knowing He has my best at heart. That no matter what the medical tests and professionals tell me, He is still the Great Physician, my Healer and My comforter. He has "become the anchor of my soul".
"So when I hear the thunder and I think I'm going under,
I remember He's the lifter of my head...thank you, Lord, for changing me instead."

No comments: