Friday, October 17, 2008

The Shack

I recently read an unusual book. It was recommended by Gloria Gaither as a must read, life changing experience. That intrigued me. Gloria Gaither is a deep theological thinker. Such a recommendation from her was huge to me. So I ordered the book, The Shack, by William P Young.
I was not impressed by the first several chapters, I thought them kind of boring and upsetting. But once Mac, the main character, arrives at "the shack", all that changed. His encounters and experiences there gave me pictures for theological mysteries I had never had pictures for before. I saw how God is whoever and whatever we need Him to be in every circumstance of our lives. God is willing to do whatever it takes to have a loving relationship with us.
I saw how when we really learn to let go and trust God, our joy is overflowing and our stress is removed. Mac has an encounter with all of God and his life is never the same again.
This book is fiction. The author originally wrote it to give to his children. But as others read the story, they encouraged him how special it was and to publish it. Many who read it find it hard to believe it is fiction and call the author wanting to speak to Mac.
There are those I know who will not like it. It imagines what some Biblical truths could look like. For me, although I know it is fiction, it gives me a new way to imagine some mysteries I have long wondered about. Some will be offended by the characterizations, but to me they just help me know better who God is. He is Who we need Him to be, a father, a mother, a comforter, a friend, a healer, a savior etc.
I highly recommend this book to anyone with an open mind and heart.

No comments: