Monday, October 13, 2008

The Trauma of Transparency

Several years ago I read a great book titled, "The Trauma of Transparency" by J. Grant Howard. I bought it because the title intrigued me. I love the word picture it paints.
At that time, my husband and I were involved as leaders of Marriage Enrichment by Dr. Carl Clarke. ME is all about learning to communicate positively and openly. This book is sub titled "A Biblical Approach to Inter-Personal Communication" and I thought it would help me as a ME group leader.
The past three weeks Pastor Del has been preaching about the "AVC's of relationships" and this book came to mind again. The Trauma of Transparency - it is traumatic to open yourself up to anyone.
I will not bore you with the details of the entire book, but I do want to share a couple of things from it.
God created us to be open and honest with each other and with Him. In Genesis 2, it says (Adam and Eve) were naked and not ashamed. They were comfortable with each other. There were no barriers between them. They still had to get to know each other but they were willing and able to do so.
All went well until...Satan enters.
And with Satan came sin. Now in Genesis 3, they disobey God, their eyes are opened and they want to hide. God continually gives them opportunity to be open and honest with Him. He wants a close, intimate relationship with each of us. But they choose to hide. Sin separates and alienates, we hide from God and we hide from one another.
Further along in Genesis 3, we find the man blaming the woman for dragging him into disobedience. Adam went from hiding to hurling. So now he has not only broken his relationship with God, he is ruining his relationship with others (his wife). We hurl by ridiculing, being sarcastic, cutting people down, nitpicking, and a whole variety of ways. We blame others, we blame God, and even blame ourselves.
So our communication broke down back in the Garden. Now we bottle things up (hide) or let things out in wrong, hurtful ways (hurl).
The remainder of the book helps us through Scripture realise how to communicate properly with God and with others.
Pastor Del's authenticity, vulnerability and credibility fit right in with the points made by this author.
I hope this was not too boring today, but it is what I was thinking about so thought I'd share it.

1 comment:

Del Smith said...

Ruthie, that sounds like a book we all need to read! Thanks for the title.